Goal of the Department
The mission of the Medical Laboratory Science department is to produce technically competent career-entry level medical laboratory practitioners with sufficient knowledge and skills to embark on a productive career in the clinical laboratory profession.
Goals and Competencies
The primary goals and competencies of the MLS department is to:
- Define what is expected of students at all levels of the program and to help students achieve those expectations.
- Incorporate appropriate general education and basic science courses into the curricula so as to produce broadly educated health care professionals.
- Maintain curricula that prepare graduates for employment in a variety of clinical laboratory settings.
- Prepare practitioners who can generate accurate laboratory data to be used in patient care and who can evaluate the validity of that data and assure its reliability.
- Prepare practitioners with a sense of responsibility and professionalism as demonstrated by: (a) respect for confidentiality of patient information, (b) following laboratory safety practices, (c) using effective verbal and written communication, and (d) aspirating to perform quality work.